Several days ago I posted some pictures of some white, canvas shoes I customized with black sharpie. I’m still in the process of completing an additional pair, but I have also completely finished a third set.
These shoes I used the rubbing alcohol bleed method first to add some funky color, then drew a doodle over them. I can’t really take the credit for coming up with any of these ideas, but I do take the credit for actually going out and doing it. These were the shoes that fit the best when I purchased them and I wanted to make them extra special. I’ve been having a love affair with orange in the recent months, so of course I used all fiery colors for the sharpie bleed.
I completed the right shoes first, and learned some stuff about what does and does not look good. As a result, I like the left shoe way more. Oh well.
Many people have shown interest in this kind of work, and I’m trying to figure out a way to sell them. The problem is the actual shoes. All the shoes I’ve worked on have been cheap, grocery superstore purchases which means they aren’t particularly comfortable. If I were to make these for people to purchase, I would need more reliably comfortable shoes and a way to accurately size people before they ordered. Perhaps I shall investigate similar Etsy products to see what they do.
Sorry for the red blurry thing. I took this image with my iPad. The coloring bit was pretty fun, but next time I would certainly use an eye dropper instead of a drippy paper towel to apply the rubbing alcohol.
Unlike the other shoes, which were mirror images (or at least, as symmetrical as I could make them without spending a million years doing pre-drawings), these shoes have completely different patterns.